The 2008 summer/fall season was the second season of the Oxfam America SRI program in Vietnam. Continuing and expanding its earlier efforts, the program provided training and support on SRI adoption in a total of 13 communes, located in 7 districts in 6 provinces (Yen Bai, Ha Tay, Thai Nguyen, Phu Tho, Nghe An, and Ha Tinh). With the strong support of local officials and community members, the program was able to achieve the following milestones:
- 385 key farmers (of whom 76% are women) were trained. These farmers are skilled SRI practitioners who provide training to others in their communities.
- 41 SRI research plots in 13 communes, with the participation of 325 farmers (76% of whom are women)
- 20 workshops and conferences organized, with 1,861 farmers and local authorities participating
- 26 study and exposure visits, in which 2,150 took part
- 5.8% to 14.4% productivity increases.
- 21.3% to 50% profit increases.
- 6.2% to 30.5% decreases in urea use.
- 33.3% to 83% decreases in pesticide application.
- 11% to 50% decreases in irrigation expenses.
The chart below provides a more detailed breakdown of these indicators: